Thursday, November 11, 2010

work, work, work


Why do I accept a job duty that I don’t like? Well, to be honest with you I would work in anything, doing whatever because if I don’t then someone else would take my place. In a way I do it because of security, I feel save by having a job and money. I have to work in order to be able to put food on the table and also a roof over my head. I have worked all my life and now my priority is getting a higher education in order to succeed. My first real job was as a car detailer earning $6.00/hr. I worked there for three months earning enough money to buy my first car. Then I quitted that job because I hated it! But at the end, my work had paid off I have earned a car for all my hard work. I have also worked in construction, washing dishes, etc. In a way this is how I see things; I work knowing that I will gain something from that work, if I see no progress then it means that I need to change something because it’s not meeting my expectations. The jobs that I’ve worked on, had served as aids for me while going to college. After finishing high school I went to college and obtained a certificate as an RDAEF in the dental field, which is what I do now. It pays well, about five times more than my first job and I enjoy doing it. This job as an RDAEF helps me economically while I’m back in school.
I had to work in things that I did not enjoy so that I could take myself to another level, like taking myself back to school so that I could go forward. Now, I have other aspirations, I would like to go to dental school.  If you ask me why I work I will tell you that I do it for the money.  But if that's entirely true, how do you explain people like Bill Gates, who is worth more than we can imagine per year and yet who throws himself into his jobs as if his next meal depended on it? There is something else in human nature and work. I sometimes feel that if I’m not doing something I feel like I’m wasting my time.  
I think that in today’s hard work is less a guarantee for success than ever before. Because the rules of the game have changed, old promises about hard work are unrewarded by the big companies. It probably has to do with the high number of unemployment and high competition. Most people in big companies feel positive about the kind of work they do, my sister in law would say that she dislikes her company. She feels like she is what she does, not where she works. She feels used, without a recognition but she feels that if she doesn’t do her job, then the company can find someone else for even half her salary. Why does people worked? I would say that the most common reasons are; because they need to pay a mortgage, to make the world a better place, to help themselves and others on intellectually and maybe to perfect their technical skills. Some people work because they believe they can make the world a better place. While all these people have different reasons for working, they all, in the end, are searching for the same thing: self-esteem. Work really defines who you are. So is a person's self-esteem measured by success at work? Not a new idea, but still a very powerful one. One by doing a good job at work can increase their self-esteem, making them feel good intellectually, physically depending on their job description. Overall I feel that every person needs to be happy at what they do in order for them to produce, generate as much as they can at their work place. But again what is the limit at which we say that’s enough? I feel that enough is when our job gets to a point, which affects us personally and emotionally, when we take our jobs to our own house affecting others. Our home is supposed to be our refuge, the place where we rest from a hard day. Not a place where we take our problems, but I understand that sometimes it is uncontrollable.  

No comments:

Post a Comment