Monday, November 22, 2010

Dream of falling teeth


Carl Jung was psychiatrist focused on the content of dreams and looked to what they may reveal, rather than what they may be concealing. He also believed that dreams represented current situations in the dreamers walking life.  Drams can be used as a guide in walking life to attain a sense of completeness or wholeness and help us to self-actualize. The dreams role is to help find wholeness and the different aspects of personality will appear in the dream to help achieve that wholeness.

Curiously a couple of nights ago I dreamed that my teeth had fallen. I had my teeth crumbled in my hands. I was able to grab a tooth and pull it from my mouth. It was very shocking. At first I thought that this dream had to do with the fact that I’ve been around dentistry all my life, (my father being a dentist and I have also worked at a surgeon’s office pulling teeth). But by taking the time to analyze and think more in depth for different meanings or symbols that teeth might have, I thought it might be just a coincidence and not that the dream actually means something else.

Teeth could mean different things to different people. I’ve asked people around my house and they all gave me different interpretations that were good in getting me started at brainstorming about what is it that I’m so worry about lately. Teeth reflect a good appearance. Nice teeth = good appearance and how others perceive you. But when I think about it, I’m not really someone who worries about his appearance, so I don’t understand how I could relate my dream with my appearance. After brainstorming more about the potential meaning of this dream, another idea came to mind. Teeth are a strong symbol in (my opinion) of power. Teeth are used to bite, tear, chew, etc, which are key essentials to survival. We have to bite, tear, chew if we want to eat something, otherwise it could lead to malnutrition (as an example for weakness). This idea of power makes more sense to me than the other idea of how I look. It is true that lately I’ve been feeling frustrated, tired because of a big project I was trying to get before the year ended, but because of the delays in city permits the project will have to wait until next year. This issue have been driving me insane because of the security that it would mean to have that job secure instead of having to wait until I come back to get the approval.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, all I can say about interpreting dreams is that it's tough pinpointing what they mean now and then. Whenever that happens, I analyze it by using a combination of the event that had occurred to me during the dream mixed with what I was feeling at the time in my dream (or how I was feeling after I woke up out of the dream). I just wrote about my dream which was about me getting talked to by a person who told me to stop feeling sorry for myself and shape up. It was a real eye-opener (especially since the guy that told me to shape up could've been much more sorry for himself when he needed to be but wasn't) but the only way I was going to be able to tell what my dream meant was to use the combination of analyzing the dream event plus the resulting feeling/impression the dream had lasted on me.

    ReplyDelete