Sunday, September 26, 2010
A song with a thousand images!
Building steam from a grain of salt by DJ Shadow was one of the songs that I liked the most and also got stuck in my head because of the beat it has. Amazing how this album was constructed from samples of other songs. While listening to it I thought of many events happening around the world. This song has the ability of making someone open the mind to creativity and imagination. Everything that I thought of, like a story or series of events would work great when placed in the song. I also analyzed the name and listened to the song for about ten times. I began to picture many different things like wars, guns, disharmony, protests, etc. Others did not made sense. The name gave me another taste of a message. I thought about people being part of a system, everyone contributing, helping, sharing, adding a grain of salt to that system to grow. Each one of us being like a grain of salt that contributes to the system. I interpreted like if that system cannot be sustained at the same level where it is stable, if we don’t take action then everything turns into steam, chaos, disaster. The analogy I have is the one of a pyramid. We are at the base of that pyramid trying to build it. In order to build that pyramid everyone has to participate in an orderly manner so that we can finish that pyramid. If something goes wrong, that pyramid falls into dust.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Fantastic discussion Alan, thanks for your insight here.
ReplyDelete