Every body has at least one CD of Bob Marley if not “Legend” a 10 times platinum winner. I think Bob is one of the best artists of all times. I have listened to his music since I was 10 years old. His music always talks about peace and love, two things that I always seek and I think that others should seek as well. His songs are mellow and they help me relax. When I was little I had a friend whom I use to hang out with, we used to be best friends. We always wanted to be like Bob in a way, like having dreadlocks and look relax like he did. Soon we realized that it was not possible, not because of differences in hair types, but because our parents wouldn’t let us. The relax part I think I still have. Bob has a song in particular that I have always tried to perform, by singing and by playing the guitar. This song is called “Redemption Song”. The acoustic guitar version; it is just perfect because every time I listen to it, it takes me back to that place, in my bedroom where I play it every time I feel sad and stress. I have never tried to analyze this song. In fact I liked it because of how it sounds. As English being my second language it was hard for me to really understand what he was saying, especially when I was young. Now I listen to this song and it makes me think about everything that is happening in the world around us, this song makes me think that he was really ahead of us. In a way he was a prophet who was trying to send us a message, to stop and think about what was going on in the world. While writing this blog I am listening to the song, paying attention more to the message he was trying to tell us, and in a way he is telling us that he has spent so many years trying to spread freedom and love all over the world. Now in this modern age and through industrialization we are not learning our mistakes we are still enslaved by that, and I think it also states basically that if we hold our heads high and fight for what’s right then we will find redemption.
This song also takes me inside that blue Dodge Dynasty filled with young boys looking for adventure. With our surfboards on top of the car we were always seeking for good waves. We would wake up early on Saturday and drive all along the coast of Peru heading south. I sat always in the front between my two brothers, Gabriel and Christian. We always brought friends so the car was full. We were always joking the whole way and always listening to Bob. Today when I listen to redemption song it brings me that sentiment of peace and happiness expecting some action.
“Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, because none but ourselves can free our minds”. Only ourselves can open our narrow minds and look forward to new horizons.
“Have no fear for atomic energy cause none of them can stop the time” are very powerful words that tells us that not even atomic power which is the most powerful energy can wait for us in time.
I will post the lyrics fro your enjoinment.
Old pirates, yes, they rob I;
Sold I to the merchant ships,
Minutes after they took I
From the bottomless pit.
But my hand was made strong
By the 'and of the Almighty.
We forward in this generation
Triumphantly.
Won't you help to sing
This songs of freedom
'Cause all I ever have:
Redemption songs;
Redemption songs.
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;
None but ourselves can free our minds.
Have no fear for atomic energy,
'Cause none of them can stop the time.
How long shall they kill our prophets,
While we stand aside and look? Ooh!
Some say it's just a part of it:
We've got to fullfil the book.
Won't you help to sing
This songs of freedom-
'Cause all I ever have:
Redemption songs;
Redemption songs;
Redemption songs.
---
/Guitar break/
---
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;
None but ourselves can free our mind.
Wo! Have no fear for atomic energy,
'Cause none of them-a can-a stop-a the time.
How long shall they kill our prophets,
While we stand aside and look?
Yes, some say it's just a part of it:
We've got to fullfil the book.
Won't you have to sing
This songs of freedom? -
'Cause all I ever had:
Redemption songs -
All I ever had:
Redemption songs:
These songs of freedom,
Songs of freedom.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VNkr86zZaP4?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VNkr86zZaP4?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
I read your blog about Redemption song, and Bob Marley and I too am a fan. Though we listen to the same music for different reasons, the music is just the same appreciated. I can see how Marley relaxes you, it’s a smooth style that does set a tone to be laid back to, but to me personally Marley makes me think. When I listen to Bob’s smooth voice, the bands melody and the lyrics combine I start to think about what the song talks about, either my own slavery (mental and other facets), or the fight that each song builds up inside of you. Redemption song makes me want to change, I look at the things I’m just unhappy with and listening to the song I want to change them, the opposite I suppose of what it does to you. Yet when you talk about going back to a simpler time by listening to the song and thinking of things that you relate (for you the car drive), I have that same nostalgic moment. Its not a car ride for me, but it is hanging out at a friends house listening to music and just letting ideas fly and talking, some good some bad and then some funny. That feeling of remembering those times is great, it’s simpler and for a moment it makes you forget that you have to write this response, or the next paper or study time for the next test, it lets you be in the moment, though you’re mentally in the past. Marley, the man had a talent that spoke to everyone, even those who didn’t like his music, and let’s not forget the Wailers.
ReplyDelete